A few weeks ago I went on a girls trip to Dubai which, when my girls are involved, always leads to an eventful and memorable experience and this was no exception! It was my first time in the middle east and my first time in heat which can only be described as a real life sauna. Seriously...it was really really warm!
Dubai is great for a girls holiday - ladies night, ladies brunches, ladies drink offers… basically being a female tourist can be all kinds of fun, despite misconceptions/scaremongering in the media. I mean who doesn’t love 2 for 1 cocktails all night long!?
There are too many highlights to write about so I’ll just mention a few:
1. A dessert safari, one of the best things I have ever done in my life! We went with Ocean Air Travels who were perfect but there are loads of companies to choose from! You can go sandboarding in the desert, ride a camel, have bbq, watch crazy dancers spin round and round (you’ll know what I mean when you see it) and of course the obligatory dune bashing in the Land Rovers which makes you both happy and incredibly queezy at the same time. Definetely worth the trip!!
2. Lock Stock and Barrel – a really good bar/club we went to which was just really fun! Lots of expats, lots of good music and all kinds of cocktails, definitely go.
3. The waterpark. You are never too old. (wear factor 50, seriously)
4. China Grill – my favourite dinner that I had in Dubai. Maybe my favourite dinner ever. Again if you’re a lady, ladies night is one not to miss!!
5. Dubai Mall. It’s massive and you’ll never get around all the shops in one day but it’s worth a visit and there is a pretty fountain show every 30 minutes. Such pretty fountains.
I wont bore you too much but I definitely recommend a trip to Dubai if you ever get the chance. Don’t be put off by the media it’s a great place to visit and the people are very friendly. Respect the culture, respect their values and you’ll be absolutely fine! The Hotels in Dubai are just like anywhere else you'd go on holiday, except a lot fancier, so don't worry that it's going to be completely different to what you are used to. They let us in so you'll be fine!
My favourite fact that one of our drivers told us is in Dubai people genuinely spend more money per month on drinking water than they do on petrol. What!? Crazy! Also, taxis are so cheap... I miss them :(